January 24: Our Daily Threads

• **Also see today’s News Digest (January 24) and News Digest for yesterday (January 23) as well as Daily Threads for Yesterday (January 23) ** kubuckets.jpg ##OUR DAILY THREADS FOR JAN 24:##

##HALF COURT ZONES: CORE VS. TACTICAL USE - @jaybate##

“Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.”

–George Patton

George Patton was a general that spent most of his combat life invading places, not defending places. He had overwhelmed many fixed defenses. Thus it is not surprising that he would use his bold eloquence to say something pithy and pregnant with insight about attacking and scoff at fixed defenses.

##Conquering Turnovers - @drgnslayr##

Bill Self is talking about reducing turnovers -

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-01-23/self-kus-offense-should-be-better

A high rate of turnovers seem to be the norm for a Bill Self team. That fact seems to contradict the success Bill Self brings with him every year, or does it?

Why do Bill Self teams turn the ball over at a high rate?

###Previous days:###

###Jan 23: Picking the Elite 8 - @lulufulu85###

I want to add a thread for today. Would anyone care to venture a very premature guess at this years elite 8 teams? I say that because IMO the field is still too wide open to pick just 4 teams out of the 20 or so teams that could possibly make it to the Final 4. But, there are some really good teams out there that have started to separate themselves from the pack. Back in November during the time KU played in the Champions classic with Dookie, Michigan St and Kenstinky, I made a guess that that line up could be the '14 Final Four. shakes head Nope, not gonna happen. And without further ado, but a lot of rambling because I work the night shift and I have been up since 6pm yesterday, I will start with my 8 teams whom I think at this point in the season will make it to Elite status.

###Jan 23: McDermott VS Embiid VS Wiggins - @drgnslayr###

John Gasaway, over at ESPN, wrote an op ed called “Top 25 Players in College Hoops”, where he ranked current players based on his own value system for how they impacted the college game instead of how NBA scouts rank players for draft status, based on their potential at the next level.

Gasaway concluded that the top player in college basketball is Doug McDermott. Joel Embiid finished 9th and Andrew Wiggins finished 21st.

I was unable to finish reading his story because I don’t find enough value in the ESPN media to warrant paying to read their opinions. But… I’ll go ahead and post my own ideas around this story and the rankings that came from it

####Jan 22: Why Self Said FTs Probably Won the BU Game and Some Implications - @jaybate####

Self said FTs probably decided the game. Why?

First, KU achieved its apparent defensive objectives. It took away the rim game by guarding hard inside the arc and fouling shots taken there, especially off offensive rebounds, while at the same time giving short jumpers to a team that did not shoot those short jumpers very well. Essentially, KU took away one of BU’s two strengths–inside scoring.

BU’s other strength, trey shooting first went red hot the first half, then cold the second half to shoot back to its usual still decent trey average by end of the game.

####Jan 21: Andrew’s New Mentor; Kobe Bryant - @drgnslayr####

I caught the following post today and want to offer up some new ideas:

@Blown - “Wiggins is just a Gorillas Grip on the ball away from finishing those drives. Here to hoping Hudy has a hand strengthener in her fantastic arsenal”

I think Andrew needs to reexamine his game. I’d like to sit in a video room with him and go over file footage of Kobe Bryant’s NBA career. This is the player that Andrew needs to model his game after.

####Jan 21: FLOOR BURN AWARD: KU vs BU - Jan 20 - @drgnslayr####

I think we can make this FLOOR BURN AWARD short and sweet…

#####Jan 21: Self Supports Shockers Potential #1 Seeding… - @drgnslayr#####

**Also see today’s News Digest (January 24) and News Digest for yesterday (January 23) as well as Daily Threads for [Yesterday (January 23)]

• Were you guys not able to edit daily threads post because it was locked? I’m unlocking to see if that was the problem. Can someone with thread admin rights try to edit the top post here and let me know if it let’s you?

• @approxinfinity there is a really interesting article in the hutchinson news online edition about Embiid. I don’t know how to put in on here.

• @Crimsonorblue22 good deal. news articles should be added to the other thread (daily news digest). If you have thread rights try hitting the pencil icon next to the top post and copying the syntax of another story. If you don’t have thread rights you can add as comment to that post. This post is for user generated stories.