February 7: News Headlines Digest

• Also see our Daily Threads, February 7, and the News Digest for Yesterday, February 6, as well as Daily Threads for Yesterday, February 6 ####

Wesley ###** Justin Wesley: Movie role just for ‘fun’**###

Kansas University senior basketball forward Justin Wesley will not be scouring any of the trade magazines for possible reviews of his portrayal of legend Wilt Chamberlain in the movie “Jayhawkers.”

“I did it for fun without any prior acting experience, no acting school or anything like that. Not too many people can go and do that,” said Wesley, who is looking forward to walking the red carpet before the film’s premiere at 7 p.m., a week from today at Lied Center.

####** Ben McLemore to compete in All-Star Weekend dunk contest**####

Well, finally McLemore got what he deserved. The NBA announced on Thursday that the 6-foot-5 rookie shooting guard (who was snubbed for the Rising Stars Challenge) will be a part of All-Star Weekend after all — as one of six participants in the Sprite Slam Dunk contest.

###Nations most talented team###

Jay Bilas: Kentucky and Kansas are the two most talented teams, with a nod to Kentucky for sheer number of potential NBA players. Kansas has a No. 1 overall NBA draft selection in Joel Embiid, whenever he decides to come out. I believe Embiid is the real thing, and there is no “have to” with the real thing. He doesn’t “have to” go (before he’s found out and his “stock drops” ) or “have to” stay. The real thing can do whatever he wants.

###***Smith: ***Bill Self talks West Virginia and a whole lot more###

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self met with the media Friday afternoon to talk about the Jayhawks’ upcoming home game against West Virginia, as well as a variety of other topics.

No. 8 KU (17-5 overall, 8-1 Big 12) plays host to the Mountaineers (14-9, 6-4) at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Here are the highlights from Self’s comments in bullet-point form:

###### Also see our Daily Threads, February 7, and the News Digest for Yesterday, February 6, as well as Daily Threads for Yesterday, February 6

• Not positive you could call BMac a snub for the rising stars thingy. He is averaging 7 a game, shooting 37% and his stock is dropping. His playing time is slipping with his play. On the other hand, this is only his 2nd season of ball since HS, so his future may be bright.

I saw this line on the KUSports story on the Jayhawkers movie. Someone there wrote wondering if the movie will feature Wilt’s 20,000 trysts! I hope not, but it sure sullies my memory of Wilt.

As far as who’s the most talented team, I know I don’t care. If it’s Kentucky fine, whatever, same if it’s us. It’s who’s holding the trophy in early April that I think both fan bases care more about. It is nice to know we are in such high regard however.

I look forward to afternoon games at AFH when it’s sunny. The sliver of sunlight streaming through the windows adds to the aura of the place. It looks great on TV when I see it and brings back memories of such a wonderful experience I had going to the gym 30 years ago. I don’t know if it’s annoying to the high priced alums who the sunlight falls on mainly, but I know I look forward to seeing it. I hope it’s sunny tomorrow.

• @approxinfinity Yah Ben Mac’s got some major hops. Excited to see how he does in the contest and see him representing KU! RockChalk!

• Liked Jay Bilas comment…echoes my own that unlike MOST lotto level guys, a 7ftr as smooth and agile and bright as Joel Embiid would still be a rare, hot commodity in any season’s draft. Just dont see guys like him. If McLemore stayed, he’d have to face Wiggins, Harrison’s, Parker, etc…But no such logjam or yearly crapshoot regarding agile 7footers. Is there anybody on the horizon to challenge Embiid?

What is crystal clear is that Embiid needs to learn a lot, including the mental mindset needed to defeat the pounding he is taking, and the nonsensical nature of the officiating, which will always exist, and one needs to learn to manage it.

Equally clear, is that Embiid is a 18-19yr old body, which only begs what can a real pro like Hudy, along with Father Time do for his physique (& thus career longevity) by allowing physical development time, so as not to get devoured by the bigger, meaner lions found in the NBA ranks…