2024 Coaching Carousel

• This won’t cover every coaching opening, but I’ll try to list out the major conference jobs that are available or have already been filled.

The major conference job openings currently available/recently filled in alphabetical order are:

DePaul: Hired former Ohio St. coach Chris Holtmann, this job is the equivalent of the KU football job prior to Leipold. They haven’t made an NCAA Tournament in 20 years and have only had 3 winning seasons in the last 20 years.

Louisville

Michigan

Ohio St.

Oklahoma St.

Stanford

Washington

West Virginia

Two big names off the table as of today are Nate Oats who is signing an extension with Alabama that will make him a top 5 paid coach in all of college basketball and South Carolina coach Lamont Paris who was a common name to tied to a lot of big openings as he also signed an extension with South Carolina today.

Out of the available jobs, Louisville is by far the best opening because they are a basketball first school in a basketball obsessed part of the country. Current Baylor coach Scott Drew is their top choice rumors are there’s mutual interest.

Ohio St. and Michigan are in the same tier of job where you can win big at those schools and contend for Final Four’s and national titles, but you will also never be the biggest deal on campus. In some ways, that can work to a coaches advantage as it means there’s a little less pressure than a place like Louisville, but it also means you don’t have the same level of resources either.

FAU coach Dusty May is rumored to the front runner for the Ohio St. job.

Some names to look out for with the Michigan job include Amir Abdur-Rahim from South Florida who won the AAC regular season title this year, Tony Bennett from Virginia whose roots are in the Big 10, Dayton’s Anthony Grant, Colorado St. coach Niko Medved, OU’s Porter Moser

Oklahoma St. will probably be looking to the mid major ranks based on them having to pay $15 million in buyouts to Boynton’s staff.

West Virginia is about the same caliber of job as Oklahoma St. WVU sounds like they’re going big game hunting with this search which hasn’t always panned out with the school in past coaching searches.

Washington is in an interesting position as they transition to the Big 10. This is a school that’s in an area that has quite a bit of talent and has been Final Four caliber in the not to distant past. The two names most connected to this opening are Utah State’s Danny Sprinkle who is considered the front runner and BYU’s Mark Pope. An interesting dark horse candidate here is Washington State’s Kyle Smith which isn’t as insane a thought as before now that the two school’s will be in difference conferences.

Stanford is going to become an even tougher job now that they’re moving the ACC. Kyle Smith is rumored to be an option there as Stanford in the ACC will still be a better job going forward than Washington St. in the WCC is.

Vanderbilt is up there with DePaul in terms of being a very difficult place to win due to academic restrictions and the conference they’re located in.

Other major conference jobs that are rumored to potentially be coming available this cycle are Oregon and Florida St. Oregon is reportedly thinking of moving on from Dana Altman after this will be his 3rd straight season of missing the NCAA Tournament. Leonard Hamilton is 75 and FSU has slipped considerably the past 3 seasons. Neither of those jobs is guaranteed to come open at this point, just rumors they potentially could come open. If they do, Oregon would be in the same tier of job as Michigan and Ohio St. and Florida St. would likely be in the same tier as Oklahoma St. and West Virginia.

• OSU taking the interim tag off Diebler

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

OSU taking the interim tag off Diebler

Rodney Terry’d. But maybe a lot less disastrous.

• Word is starting to go around that Scott Drew has tentatively agreed in principle to be the next head coach at Louisville.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Wow they will likely lose their really good recruiting class, wonder what #5 VJ Edgecombe will do, follow? In any case if Drew does leave that’s a really talented player potentially going elsewhere.

Personally, I’d be all in on Rob Wright (#24) if he opened things up. McNeeley’s teammate has looked like a high level guard at the next level all year long.

• @BeddieKU23 Personally, I’d be trying to pry Langston Love or Jayden Nunn away personally since both are proven shooters at the P5 level.

• Word on the street up here is Holtmann won’t be able to recruit the city well.

• @wissox said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

Word on the street up here is Holtmann won’t be able to recruit the city well.

I view this similar how I viewed the Charlie Weis hire here. If you weren’t good enough to win when you had nearly unlimited resources, how are you going to win without many resources?

• @Texas-Hawk-10

Of current players I agree, I only focused on the high school class that has two really talented guards

• Travis Ford is available again if O State wants to give him another shot.

• @mayjay was he let go or did he retire?

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

@Texas-Hawk-10

Of current players I agree, I only focused on the high school class that has two really talented guards

I’d rather take Love or Nunn over their incoming freshmen at this point because each of them is a proven commodity at a high level team amd fills a desperate need of 3 point shooting that their incoming freshmen wouldn’t be guaranteed to fill. I also think that’s more likely than getting the freshmen to flip who would instead likely follow Drew to Louisville.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

@mayjay was he let go or did he retire?

Fired, no doubt highly deserved! Actually, he was there for 8 years, and did ok. Went from 12-21 his first year to 17-16 in his second, then 5 straight years with winning percentages ranging between .636 to .734. This year, fell to 13-20, and… kaput.

He also got fired from Okla State after 8 years. There, he had only 1 under-.500 record every year until 12-20 his final year, then…kaput.

Maybe there is a curse on Ford when he hits 20 losses in his 8th year.

• Sounds like Scott Drew is has ended up deciding to stay at Baylor. Arkansas coach Eric Musselman could end up being the new front runner for the Louisville job.

• Tang to SMU? Many people are saying

Tang to SMU? Many people are saying

Really ? hadn’t heard that. wouldn’t think he would go there if he didn’t take the Louisville , but what do I know.

I see Cam Carter entering the portal , I think they got some internal uneasiness going on

• @jayballer67 said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

Tang to SMU? Many people are saying

Really ? hadn’t heard that. wouldn’t think he would go there if he didn’t take the Louisville , but what do I know.

I see Cam Carter entering the portal , I think they got some internal uneasiness going on

SMU is going to the ACC next season and is a “religious” school.

• Boy ol Fitz that does the K/State pod cast was pretty hot today.- -Talking about how K/State AD just doesn’t know when to shut up and when not to.

Then Fitz says he can’t say if there will be a Coaching change at K/State or not, he said it’s not good because they know the Basketball program doesn’t have the support of the AD

Like I said yesterday I think they got issues within their Athletic Dept. Think your gonna se more defections and wouldn’t be shocked if Tang was gone.

• Was tang offered the Louisville job?

• FAU’s Dusty May has been announced as the next head coach at Michigan.

• @Crimsonorblue22 why in the world would Louisville offer him the job? They likely want a proven winner to rebuild not a random guy that has been a head coach for 2 years.

• Watching the FAU guys now. Michigan doesn’t have great NIL in hoops

• @kjayhawks read jayballers post

@kjayhawks read jayballers post

I don’t see Tang having any interest in the Louisville job and they likely don’t have interest in him. The current name I’ve seen most talked about is Eric Musslemann from Arkansas.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I didn’t think so, I read jayballers post

• Here’s an open job that I think is going to be very intriguing to a lot of coaches: SMU.

SMU is moving to the ACC next season. Big money NIL deals have been a thing there since well before it was within the rules. Their basketball NIL budget is reportedly $3.5 million including a guaranteed $36,000 minimum tonall basketball players. The school’s location in Dallas is a big positive as the DFW area is one of the richest recruiting hotbeds in the country. Academics aren’t the same issue there that Northwestern and DePaul deal with in Chicago.

This is a program that I think we’ll see some unexpected names connected to in an attempt to get a raise, but would absolutely be willing to take the job if their current school didn’t match.

Rumor is Tang pretty badly wants out of KSU because of the administration. The Nae’Qwan Tomlin situation this season is a big factor in that as the admin basically overruled Tang. The inability to rein the F-KU chants in is also a factor.

I think Tang is likely actively looking at other jobs behind the scenes to get out of Manhattan.

• Tang got to weird!

• @Crimsonorblue22 I get Tang wanting out but Louisville don’t want no part of him.

• @kjayhawks I didn’t say that, I read it from jayballer. I repeated him.

• They were talking about Drew to Louisville and then Tang to Baylor was what I said or thought I had said. Tang going to Baylor with the religious School. May have said Tang to Louisville by accident - -doesn’t matter now though.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

@Crimsonorblue22 said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

Rumor is Tang pretty badly wants out of KSU because of the administration. The Nae’Qwan Tomlin situation this season is a big factor in that as the admin basically overruled Tang. The inability to rein the F-KU chants in is also a factor.

I think Tang is likely actively looking at other jobs behind the scenes to get out of Manhattan.

Fitz is saying not sure if there will be a Coaching change or not , but like you said internal issues between the Basket ball program and the AD - -The Basketball feels they are not getting the support from the AD dept.

They have already lost two to the portal, and I’m sure not done yet

• Tang to SMU? Many people are saying Really ? hadn’t heard that. wouldn’t think he would go there if he didn’t take the Louisville , but what do I know.

From you, jayballer

Tang to SMU? Many people are saying Really ? hadn’t heard that. wouldn’t think he would go there if he didn’t take the Louisville , but what do I know.

From you, jayballer

ya Carter is out and then the kid cant remember his name - Finister or something like that, he played some.- - Ya had heard about Tang maybe going to SMU- - -Tang is having issues with the AD - -t fitz saying conflict with them and the AD

Tang to SMU? Many people are saying Really ? hadn’t heard that. wouldn’t think he would go there if he didn’t take the Louisville , but what do I know.

From you, jayballer

SMU is still officially a religious school which lines up with Tang’s personal values and beliefs. See my post above about what’s happening at SMU and it’s a move that makes sense if there ends up being mutalual interest between SMU and Tang.

• SMU has hired USC’s Andy Enfield and Oklahoma St. has hired Western Kentucky’s Steve Lutz.

Louisville hired Charleston’s Pat Kelsey as their new coach last Friday and already has brought two players with him.

Charleston replaced Kelsey with former Louisville coach Chris Mack.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 has usc hired anyone?

@Texas-Hawk-10 has usc hired anyone?

No, Enfield was just hired today.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 our local news, from wichita, mentioned tang as a candidate. Who knows if it’s a guess.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Sounds like Arkansas coach Eric Musselman is who USC is targeting.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 that makes more sense.

@Texas-Hawk-10 that makes more sense. His goning to fly to USC to make it official

• Tang to Arkansas many people are saying

Tang to Arkansas many people are saying

Beard but I like your thinking.

• @BShark said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND

• Woaaa, can this be true ? - - Article from Jon Rothstein say Tang and his wife were flying out tonight to Arkansas for the official announcement that he will be Arkansas new head Coach - -jumpin -gee - - hossie - -toads. -This if true will be a 3 ton punch right to the gut of little sister - - -Really bad timing for the program–they be screwed.

Dammit I would hate that when that stuff happens to little sister lol - - -ROCK CHALK

• FARMER LOOKS like you could very well be right

@BShark said in 2024 Coaching Carousel:

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND

TANG ME UP BEFORE I GOGO

• Well watched FitzGerald and of course he is saying rumors are false, Went to the Arkansas boards , they are all leaning that it’s true and not happy. Saying announcement coming soon.

Beard staying at OL Miss saying AD throwing kitchen sink for him to stay at ol Miss. Donors flat said no to Will Wade, I know that at K/State Tang and the Basketball program not getting the support from the AD, Tang and the AD really not no like for one another. Guess we shall see