2023-2024 Statistics

• Time to start this up again for the new year.

• Buckets site seems to be having issues uploading so will have to wait to upload stats

• Kenpom- #3

Torvik- #2

PER’s- Everyone is gravy

If Hunter was a Hawk his entire career, he would currently sit #14 on the all-time scoring list. He’s got a shot to sit 2nd unofficially after this season ends.

• @BeddieKU23 But can they shoot? I was told this team couldn’t shoot. Any stats on that from the first real game?

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2023-2024 Statistics:

Kenpom- #3

Torvik- #2

PER’s- Everyone is gravy

If Hunter was a Hawk his entire career, he would currently sit #14 on the all-time scoring list. He’s got a shot to sit 2nd unofficially after this season ends.

hmmm, I just read artice off ESPN and it in the article had KU 2nd in the Kenpom - -Houston 3rd - Ariz 6th - & Baylor 7th - - but hey either way pretty dam god.

• @benshawks08 said in 2023-2024 Statistics:

@BeddieKU23 But can they shoot? I was told this team couldn’t shoot. Any stats on that from the first real game?

Like Coach said, he doesn’t believe we are as bad as what we showed in Exhibitions & probably not as good as against our first opponent. - -I know it’s one game BUT ya we can shoot. just like any other team just depends from night to night. Here are the stats you were looking for

KU in the 1 st game : - - 69.6 % - - -80 % Free Throw - -& 56.5 % three point shooting. – -Kevin - -66.7 % - - Hunter 88.9 % - -Timberlake 80 % - -Adams 75% - - Braun 83 % - -Jackson 60 % - -& Furphy 50 % plus the other players. So ya think we can shoot the ball ok.

• KEV

3rd player in KU History with a triple double. Way to go Kev. Not your best game but he showed why he’s a really good all around player. Tough as nails

• I’ll make a prediction that he will have another triple-double before the end of the season. He’s that kind of player and the system is now innate for him.

• Update post Kentucky win.

Kenpom #3- #10 offense, #4th defense

Torvik #2 - #7 offense, #2nd defense

• Hunter and Kev were in some rare company for their 20 & 20 and Triple Doubles game

• Evan Miya player ratings

alt text

• @BeddieKU23 The alley oop pass from past half court to KJ should be on the highlight reel of the season. I don’t watch much sportscenter anymore but would have been disappointed had it not been featured.

• @BShark What is the rank? All of the ncaa div 1? B12?

• @wissox said in 2023-2024 Statistics:

@BShark What is the rank? All of the ncaa div 1? B12?

Rank on the left is big 12 I believe.

BPR paints a good picture of our rotation. People (not you) should not be quick to give up on Elmarko, he will be good.

• @BShark LOL I don’t know these guys well enough to give up yet!

• I’m guessing our message board will be cut in half for the Charminade game since it plays opposite of the Chiefs/Eagles Monday Night Football game. This Kentucky game thread was the best that I recall. Of course it helps that KU won.

• @stoptheflop I hate this!

• The midnight chats ought to be fun Tuesday and Wednesday nights!

• @DanR

They will be Lit!

• The field in Maui is special. Looking forward to this tourney and hope we can get 3 wins.

• Kev becomes the first Jayhawk in history with back to back Triple Double’s. The stat hasn’t been recorded forever but still a super cool achievement for the record books

• Kenpom- #4 overall- #12 Offense, #6 defense

Torvik- #3 overall- #4 offense, #6 defense

Hunter’s PER currently is 42.5, his previous best for a season was 28.8. Historic start for him. Obviously early but wanted to point out just how good he is right now.

Kevin- Same, PER 28.9 currently, previous bests were last year and Soph year at Tech where he was in the 17 range.

Hate to criticize but Timberlake is a clear evaluation miss right now. I hope he turns it around but the eye test and numbers are downright awful right now.

• Opposing coach’s eyes light up when our bench players hit the floor and they go after them immediately. Not so bad except our bench can’t score enough to offset it. Furphy, Nick, Elmarko are still in the you can beat me off the dribble at will stage. Who do you think is the least raw with the most upside? Elmarko, Johnny and McDowell are our best at getting out on the break. Small sample but clear evidence of. Scoring in a set offense Elmarko and Johnny and Parker are the best. Small sample but clear evidence of. Nick is playing hard but air balls are cringey although he hits the defense boards without fear. I think all of them are not timid mixing it up. Nice.

• We need to get Elmarko going, the guy is talented but struggling early, Freshmen challenges. He needs to use his athleticism more and drive to the basket for score or dish

• @AsadZ hopefully he learns to protect or value the ball a lil better!

• Transfers in - Hunter, Nick, Arterio, Parker. = good scoring dick, no scoring nick, a loose prick, and a bench stick.

• Update Post Maui

Kenpom- #5 overall, Offense #26, Defense #3.

Torvik- #4 overall, Offense #17, Defense #5.

Kenpom rank in Self Era- Currently 10th best team. Rating in range of 2012 Title Runner-up & 2022 National Champs.

PER’s took a dip. Hunter leads at 35.5, McCullar still strong at 23.4. Timberlake still last at 3.6 for refence. Guard play must improve a lot according to this analytics stat.

• @BeddieKU23

Yes sir, BPI has 10 teams in conference among the top 20 or so. It’s so early.

• @Zabudda

I’m not even sure what you can describe the upcoming Big-12 schedule as anymore. So far the Big-12 has won 83% of their games. The newcomers to the league are a combined 22-2 so far, 9 teams have 1 loss or less. Of course, it’s early and some of these teams haven’t played anyone but sisters for the blind but it certainly looks like this league could be even more difficult.

It will be interesting to revisit this before conference play starts.

@Zabudda

I’m not even sure what you can describe the upcoming Big-12 schedule as anymore. So far the Big-12 has won 83% of their games. The newcomers to the league are a combined 22-2 so far, 9 teams have 1 loss or less. Of course, it’s early and some of these teams haven’t played anyone but sisters for the blind but it certainly looks like this league could be even more difficult.

It will be interesting to revisit this before conference play starts.

Oh it’s gonna be a zoo. - -yet of course we knew or should of known it would be like this. This is going to be even a more Dominant League- - BYU has been kind of a surprise, but have done realy well , it’s going to be interesting. - -You know Houston is always gonna be good- time to stand up

• Didn’t realize Hunter was leading the Nation at like 12.6 . Read that the other day

• Kenpom hates this team currently. The Eastern Illinois game really hammered them negatively.

#10 after beating the #4 team in the country. Guess who’s still #4, UCONN on Kenpom.

I understand how Kenpom gets to their numbers but it’s certainly not going to make any sense when you look at the results.

Kenpom says we are the 4th best team in our own conference with 3 wins against ranked teams. Let’s you know how flawed it can be.

Kenpom hates this team currently. The Eastern Illinois game really hammered them negatively.

#10 after beating the #4 team in the country. Guess who’s still #4, UCONN on Kenpom.

I understand how Kenpom gets to their numbers but it’s certainly not going to make any sense when you look at the results.

Kenpom says we are the 4th best team in our own conference with 3 wins against ranked teams. Let’s you know how flawed it can be.

The EIU game should be bad for us but it was clear to see it was a super low effort game with minimal game planning at all.

KP is absolutely delirious right now with regards to BYU…

• The ncaa net rankings has this team at 16! Lol. Hopefully the big 12 gauntlet will help all those computer see what’s really going on by the end of the year. If we were someone like Gonzaga, I’d be worried. But win the big 12 and all will be well for seeding.

• @benshawks08 Houston, who’s beaten nobody of great significance, is #1 in the net because they beat bad teams really well I guess.

• Iowa State being #13 in the NET is hilarious

• @wissox said in 2023-2024 Statistics:

@benshawks08 Houston, who’s beaten nobody of great significance, is #1 in the net because they beat bad teams really well I guess.

That appears to be their philosophy every year. Load up on low to mediocre teams early which gives them a chance to refine their offense/defense and create confidence. Seems to have worked pretty well for them. This year, the Big 12 will be a lot tougher route. We shall see.

• These net ranking are a Joke, we are tied for the most Quad 1 wins but 16th.

• @kjayhawks It’s kind of early so however their metrics work, it leads to some oddities. Princeton #8 for example. But they’re undefeated and 1-0 in quad 1 games (they beat Rutgers). Doubtful they’re anywhere close. They’re 51 in KenPom. Quite a difference.

• @wissox I think RPI favors SOS too much and this net favors win margin too much

• I really only know what I see from watching KU and we have seen how unconscious teams can be against us like UK in the first half against us bombs away and UConn’s Alfred E. Newton hitting wtf shots adnaseum after being 7/27 (25%) before our game. I think we won both of those. Marquette again reminded us that we get the very best efforts against us every freaking game. Other teams think the Jayhawks are impossibly good while we bitch about Timberlake missing shots. We follow the other top teams and watch their stats and think they are better than they are and wonder how they lost to the Beantown Farts or whomever. It’s just fun to look at the numbers this time of the season.

• @Zabudda Who lost t0 the beantown farts?

• @wissox The Pinto Beans. An inter-legume war.

• @wissox

Well thew Farts and the Lady Farts both lost to The Febreze Lilacs.

• @mayjay

Don’t tempt me mayjay. We could take this clear down to school songs. My wife just asked me what are you smiling at?

• @Zabudda Uncle! Uncle!

• Kenpom-

Win on the road against 17k fans in Assembly Hall. Yeah, your moving down the list some more. Sounds about right for winning.

Torvik-

Win on the road against 17k fans in Assembly Hall. Yeah, your moving WAY down the list. Sounds about right for winning.

• @BeddieKU23 all rating systems hate this team. If we actually destroy Yale, it will mean more.

• Hard to do when we play down to the competition. It also makes it hard to gauge where we truly are. Those metrics show what KU is doing in comparison to other teams. I wish they would factor in effort with the metrics. Yes, I know it is unrealistic. Either that or just have the team play to the best of its ability every game. I am quite confident KU does not do that.