Other bball games

• Might be some good viewing tonight to see Indiana St and Cream Abdul Jabbar take on Cincy in the NIT. 8 central on ESPN.

• @approxinfinity You hadn’t heard of him? He’s a really dynamic player. Defense is pretty poor which I think keeps him in mid major territory. Chicago kid too which makes me proud but like why Terra Haute? Why not more local here?

• Smartest thing Joe Lunardi has said this year, maybe:

Speaking of “middling” majors, power conference at-large teams that didn’t crack .500 in their respective leagues have gone 3-5 in the NCAA tournament and 12-13 in the NIT, with the latter playing almost entirely at home. Meanwhile, the true mid-majors that received or would have received the most at-large consideration had they needed it – Grand Canyon, James Madison, McNeese and Indiana State – posted an aggregate 4-3 record across both tournaments (including two massive NCAA wins). I point this out not to pile on the likes of Greg Sankey – after all, one of his SEC teams had the gross injustice of being paired with one of the seven natural wonders of the world – but to remind everyone that we consistently overrate one class of team (“middling” majors) at the expense of their true mid-major counterparts.

• I have a hard time finding injustice in leaving out teams that don’t have a chance to win it all. I’d be fine with a 32 team field. Actually I think I’d prefer a 32 team field - the tournament would be higher quality games across the board, even when upsets happen you would still end up with a decent matchup. Also the regular season would be much more important, winning the conference becomes very valuable.

• @dylans we very much differ on that opinion. i love the cinderellas.

• @dylans you would rather Purdue get knocked off by Memphis than Farleigh Dickenson last year? Not I!

• I can still remember when it was a thirty two team field and they played a 3rd place game in the NCAA tourney

• I get @dylans point. Most sports don’t have very “pure” champions anymore. In professional sports wildcards means lesser baseball teams can get hot and ride a couple of hot arms deep into October. NBA almost crowned a Miami team that was a minute away from losing in the playin tournament last year. NFL sees wildcards advance far it seems many years. But college football always had it right. They always had 4 great teams with some debates some year of a team that should have been invited instead, but the team hoisting the plaque was always one of the very best teams. Now they’re watering it down and some year a team that squeaks in with 3 losses will get hot or healthy and win a Natty. I documented several months ago how UConn has seemingly been lucky each of their 5 championships by defeating a watered down final 4 each time, with maybe an exception the first time they won.

The big argument against limiting the field is our 88 team doesn’t qualify for the dance, nor does Villanova the year before, but there really are few teams winning the NCAA that wouldn’t have been invited if the field was limited to 32 teams.

• “Best team” award is like Brucie’s “We tried harder” argument.

It is bizarre to be worrying that “dilution” is caused by a tournament being expanded and that this threatens the meaningfulness of a champ without an elite record.

If you are so interested in protecting the best teams, don’t have any tournament at all. Better yet, bow to reality and accept that the champ is the one that wins the tournament and don’t cry about it.

• The tournament isn’t ever going down in sizzle and never will be hosed by the better seeds. It is a spectacle that generates a crap load of money. The networks want the upsets and attention from them. Love it or hate it everyone knows what the deal is.

• @kjayhawks it’s really smart that the women’s game has figured out the value for them IS in getting the best teams to the later rounds for big match ups and keeping stars in the field. Both tournaments feel like they are playing off of each other well right now and I hear lots more talk about both.

• @benshawks08 for sure and the women don’t change teams near as often at this point you look at Angel at LSU and Caitlin at Iowa. You could argue the women’s have more familiarity and stories other than a whole new team after a year or two.

• @kjayhawks said in Other bball games:

@benshawks08 for sure and the women don’t change teams near as often at this point you look at Angel at LSU and Caitlin at Iowa. You could argue the women’s have more familiarity and stories other than a whole new team after a year or two.

Had to love it the other night saw a video where Caitlin’s dad was in the stands and told Caitlin to shut the hell up , because she was spending so much dam time whining to the officials That basically was what the whole video was about. How Caitlin crying to the officials so much during games that is detracting away from her accomplishments. -Classic Kodak moment seeing her own dad telling her to shut up lmao

• @jayballer67 to be fair I do think Clark is dealing with being under a microscope like no women’s college basketball player before ever has while also dealing with a double standard. Kevin McCullar and Iowa state fans whine to officials way more than her.

• @benshawks08 said in Other bball games:

@kjayhawks it’s really smart that the women’s game has figured out the value for them IS in getting the best teams to the later rounds for big match ups and keeping stars in the field. Both tournaments feel like they are playing off of each other well right now and I hear lots more talk about both.

The women’s tournament home games in the first couple rounds have nothing to do with any intent to keep better teams in the tournament longer. That is the effect of wanting to actually have fans in the seats.

If the women’s tournament could fill neutral venues like the men’s tournament, they would do it in a minute. And all but the top 16 teams would be thrilled.

@jayballer67 to be fair I do think Clark is dealing with being under a microscope like no women’s college basketball player before ever has while also dealing with a double standard. Kevin McCullar and Iowa state fans whine to officials way more than her.

I’ve never seen Kevin act like that towards officials. No way man. She looked like a spoiled rotten crybaby child in those clips. I was embarrassed for her. Genuinely makes me dislike her. That combined with the court storming flop. I am surprised more people haven’t turned on her by now. If she wasn’t bringing in so much money to the sport she would be blasted by the media. Can’t wait for the day we stop hearing about how many half court shots she chucked up and made. Enough.

• Her dad was very embarrassed! I would’ve been too!

• Kelly Oubre was just a huge joke on twitter for telling every ref they were a bitch. It was funny when he did it but Caitlyn is a spoiled crybaby child.

Rewatch some games and pay attention to Kevin on just about every drive and what comes after it. He also almost got in a fight with an opposing coach. I’m not trying to say Kevin is bad or anything, just pointing out the double standard.

• @benshawks08 great point. Honestly go look at any star from the past. MJ, Bird, Magic all jawed at the refs. I’m 83% sure James Naismith got an earful from one of his students for a bad call back in Springfield.

• @FarmerJayhawk not sure if this is sarcastic or not but it really is my point. She plays with competitive fire. Does it go overboard sometimes? Sure. But that’s kinda the way competitive fire works.

• @benshawks08 oh, not at all! I totally agree with you.

@jayballer67 to be fair I do think Clark is dealing with being under a microscope like no women’s college basketball player before ever has while also dealing with a double standard. Kevin McCullar and Iowa state fans whine to officials way more than her.

umm No they don’t , not even close - -every dam time. - - her dad’s reaction pretty well acknowledges, she thinks cause she set the record she should get special privileges - -umm no just play the dam game , and the rest will take care of itself

• @RockkChalkk said in Other bball games:

@benshawks08 said in Other bball games:

I’ve never seen Kevin act like that towards officials. No way man. She looked like a spoiled rotten crybaby child in those clips. I was embarrassed for her. Genuinely makes me dislike her. That combined with the court storming flop. I am surprised more people haven’t turned on her by now. If she wasn’t bringing in so much money to the sport she would be blasted by the media. Can’t wait for the day we stop hearing about how many half court shots she chucked up and made. Enough.

Makes it hard to watch , every dam time whe sniveling about something - - dam , just play the game for GOD’S sakes

@FarmerJayhawk not sure if this is sarcastic or not but it really is my point. She plays with competitive fire. Does it go overboard sometimes? Sure. But that’s kinda the way competitive fire works.

Almost to a tea - -EVERY PLAYER male & female play with that edge , that s you say competitive fire and yet you don’t see them bitching like that - - -not nearly as much -just a really bad look on her part

• I think it’s different ‘cause she’s in college and she’s setting an example for young gals. Pro guys act terrible all the time and get by with it. Not acceptable at all, but this was funny to me. Didn’t one of the morri’ twins get thrown out recently. They scare me! Oubre at least wasn’t attacking anyone.

• Clemson upset Arizona and UConn blew out San Diego St. by 30 in the first two Sweet 16 games tonight.

• @RockkChalkk I kind of liked your first part but the court storming flop comment just gauls me. I think your feelings about her are clouding your judgment about that moment. Fans doing something technically illegal run into her and you really think she had time to process that situation like ok I’m gonna flop? I’m no fan of her or Filipkowski at Duke but I’m appalled people will criticize them because of out of control fans running into them.

• @wissox I seriously thought they both flopped.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Fans don’t run on the court there’s no controversy. Why would they flop?

• Terrance Shannon Jr. has a weirdly effective 3 point shot. Looks kind of odd but he makes them at a decent rate.

• The question is almost the same as last year at this time, can anyone play with UConn? Is Brad Underwood finally doing something in March

• These are some great games tonight.

• Grant Nelson vs Brandon Ingram…

• @approxinfinity Both interested here but we’d already promised 4 spot minutes to a 6-5 center

Just like many ball dominated guards but we end up with Timby, Marcus Adam’s and then furphy with no stud 2 coming except the guy only DePaul wanted which says plenty

Bill’s pets is killing bill’s recruiting. Any wright can claim he has a fire lit after this year bs I’ll believe it when I see it. This year we were supposed to level up…dude road his pets to a 6th place big 12 finish and another round of 32…20 point blowout

• @FarmerJayhawk Bummer. I was pulling for you guys.

• @wissox attention

• @KirkIsMyHinrich sigh. On we go.

• Hilarious on Twitter seeing KState fans take shots at ISU for losing last night. Hilarious seeing ISU fans on twitter (X) saying the loss isn’t surprising since they’re now every teams super bowl. Yes, we now call ISU our Super Bowl!

• Not watching but Duke Houston combine for 45 first half points. When MSU-UW did a little worse in 2000 Roy Williams famously said they were pushing the game back a half century. I wonder if he’s dusting up that line again?

• Filipowski constantly lowering his shoulder and driving to get the foul. Lord, I dislike Duke.

• @wissox Just read Shead got hurt. Too bad especially as it benefits Duke.

• @wissox said in Other bball games:

@wissox Just read Shead got hurt. Too bad especially as it benefits Duke.

Likely cost UH the game.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Sad ending to a great collegiate player and career.

• Hard to believe this is only Tennessee’s second ever Elite 8 appear with as much success as that program has had in its history.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Other bball games:

Hard to believe this is only Tennessee’s second ever Elite 8 appear with as much success as that program has had in its history.

Equally hard to believe that the B12 will be missing in action when the Elite 8 games tip off. Stunning result for the top-rated conference (issue with the ratings?). Solid 5-3 in first round games, but only 2 made it to the Sweet 16 and none past that. Every other major conference has performed better (yes, the SEC was bad in the first round, but has 2 in the E8).

• @DCHawker If KU is having an off year, the Big12 won’t do squat in the tournament. Next year might be different with Arizona in conference (they’ve already flamed out too though) as I’m not sure Houston or Baylor will push KU long term.

• @dylans said in Other bball games:

@DCHawker If KU is having an off year, the Big12 won’t do squat in the tournament. Next year might be different with Arizona in conference (they’ve already flamed out too though) as I’m not sure Houston or Baylor will push KU long term.

UH is absolutely sustainable as a B12 power once Sampson retires. They have a benefactor who is pretty much single handedly responsible for elevating UH both academically and athletically into a B12 level school and will do whatever it takes to keep UH relevant.

I do agree that I don’t see Baylor sustaining their level of success post Scott Drew. It took him a decade to get Baylor to a consistent contender and is essentially all of Baylor’s basketball history.

• @dylans Zona has been a top 2 seed in the west at least three times playing in the relatively cozy confines of LA and lost 3 times in the regional out there. I looked at Zona’s history page and they’re 4-8 all time against us, but have winning records against Duke and Kentucky and Mich State. We’re the only blue blood they can’t handle but that will be put to the test as they join our league.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Baylor always has key injuries. I can’t believe we beat them w/out Kevin. I don’t think they are as strong as they were 2 yrs ago. Tang leaving?