Carlton Bragg Arrested

• @kjayhawks said:

agreed all we can do is shake our head. I personally think he was our best big and will hurt us very badly down the road but I will stand with what Self decides.

He was and it’s not close. He was the only post player that could stretch the floor. With our current 4 bigs it’s a huge liability offensively to have two of them on the floor at once.

@BeddieKU23 said:

I don’t think it changes much for the team as he was struggling anyway to find a role. I’m stunned because I thought he was a person who would not get himself into this type of situation. We will see more of Lightfoot and situations where 2 bigs without the ability to stretch the floor on the court.

I don’t think we see two bigs out there at once that often at all now. I’ll be interested to see the post minute distribution tomorrow.

@Crimsonorblue22 said:

Any evidence? Witnesses? Pictures? We all assuming he is guilty?

Doesn’t look good at all. At the very least I doubt he plays again until January.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I really hope he’s not guilty. Until its resolved this is negative press at the least

• @Crimsonorblue22 I would guess there is evidence at this point or it would’ve been dismissed today, not a 100% sure but @justanotherfan is a lawyer I believe.

• @BeddieKU23 said:

@Crimsonorblue22

I really hope he’s not guilty. Until its resolved this is negative press at the least

Yeah he really shouldn’t play until it’s sorted even if he is completely innocent.

• I will guess he will suspended but not expelled from the team, doing so would send a message of guilt and I know Coach Self would not do this to a player. After the Court date and if he is found guilty then all bets are off. Just my take.

• @JayHawkFanToo You are probably correct, that’s what most logical people would do suspend indefinitely until the matter is resolved. One other thing to think about is CJ Giles was kicked off the team for this type of stuff, Mario Little was not but his GF dropped charges if I remember correctly.

• Giles was a repeat offender

• Well my friends all I’m going to say for now is - - -it doesn’t look or sound good, I agree with others, even though hasn’t been proven guilty I still think he sits until it gets cleared up/or if found guilty I think dam I dunno chances are good that he is dismissed from team. - -Just seem so in-like him mercy, I feel sorry for him, he seemed like such a personable kid. always huge smile, friendly think this is just a very unfortunate situation, IF guilty I’m not trying to make any excuses just unfortunate - -and If guilty I also feel really bad for the female, time will tell MERCY - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I hope he didn’t hurt her. I hope they don’t kick him off the team. Such a dumb mistake.

• Going to need the other four bigs to really step up now.

• @HawkChamp

Yep. Down to 9 players now (even if temporary) and one of them is Lightfoot.

• I’d like to know what was going through Carlton Bragg’s mind when he was arrested and taken to the police station, to be smiling in his mug shot…
    I’m hoping he was just really drunk and didn’t really process the situation that he was in or something…

• He was likely completely wasted at that point.

• I’m sticking w/him. I’ve been griping how soft the smiley soft spoken piano man has been playing. He has a hard time speaking in post game, he’s so shy and timid. He’s no thug! Alcohol does bad things to some, and we simply do not have facts. I do not want his life ruined for this, if he did miss up. Self will figure out his punishment and it will be fair. I’m not worried about the team, the young people involved are my concern. Where were his buddies? It was stop day. I know many lessons have been learned and I hope no long term repercussions will happen to either parties. 🙏

• If when it is all played out and IF, IF, he IS guilty as charged I think it’s going to be interesting to the punishment. I could easily see suspended for the rest of the season - -not sure about being dismissed from the team, just a really bad situation – -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Well no sooner posted above, went to ESPN and BAM – Bragg has been suspended indinfetely - -there you go, so could be awhile till it gets cleared up, others gonna have to step it up - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Indefinite was really the only choice until the situation is resolved. Absolutely can’t play him with this cloud over his head currently. I’m sure once we have all the facts and the court stuff is done it will be changed from indefinite to something else.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

Giles was a repeat offender

Correct. Self kept Little around, so I don’t think Bragg will be kicked off the team even if guilty unless he shows a pattern of poor behavior.

• @drgnslayr If he still plays video games I guess technically he’s still a kid - ? Right ?

• Well, poke me in the eye with a stick. Who among us saw that coming? I know other teams have similar issues, but it sure seems like KU has more than their share. Keeping fingers crossed. More 4 guard platoons coming to a theater near you!

• @hawkmoon2020 I agree idk why it seems like our guys can’t stay outta trouble, idk if its a character thing or what but its getting old like years ago after the FB vs BB fight.

• @RockChalkRedlock So I guess what you post about Mitch Lightfoot is not meant to be mean spirited, I hope ? Although is not likely, is possible that Bragg could be today’s Wally Pip ? Although much more likely to be tomorrows C.J. Giles…

• @globaljaybird Bragg like Giles?

• I don’t believe we have more problems than other teams. But let’s face it. If something happens and it’s linked to Kansas it will garner national attention. Some of these kids come from homes and backgrounds that would probably make most of us cringe and be thankful for our upbringing. There is only so much you can do in some cases. Coaching staffs can talk til they’re blue in the face about expectations, behavior, repercussions and hope it sinks in. Ultimately it’s up to the individual. But one thing I do believe is that HCBS is far less tolerant than other coaches when it comes to infractions.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Hope not … but CJ went packing …

• @kjayhawks

As others have mentioned, Giles had been in trouble before and had used up all the good will available.

If you had asked me who was the least likely player to get into trouble, last season I would have said Ellis and this season I would have said Bragg. His shy demeanor, piano playing and overall niceness did not appear to show the type of person that would do something like this; it just seems out of character, on to other hand, how well do we really know him?

• @JayHawkFanToo said:

If you had asked me who was the least likely player to get into trouble, last season I would have said Ellis and this season I would have said Bragg. His shy demeanor, piano playing and overall niceness did not appear to show the type of person that would do something like this; it just seems out of character, on to other hand, how well do we really know him?

I would agree, but if alcohol and/or other substances are involved here I think all bets are off on assumed behavior. I’ve known some really pleasant people who become downright mean and belligerent when under the influence. I’ve also seen the reverse scenario. There’s just no telling what someone may or may not do when the angels and demons on your shoulder get a little bit tipsy.

• O Boy! Bill, the mirthful gods once again have pounced upon your shoulders. Best of luck in sorting out this mess…while continuing to march remaining troops to glory. We are counting on you not to tweet idiocies, but to generate the very best of decisions for all concerned.

• I’d wager some wooden nickles that those photos of Carlton are not official mug shots. Some photojournalist is yanking chains.

• IMG_1858.JPG

Dammit!

Photo courtesy of the Douglas Co. Police Dept.

• at least he took the headband off for the mug shot

• Four years of issues with our big men is getting old.

Embiid… injured

Cliff… finally got clearance, then his family screwed him

Diallo… delayed clearance/didn’t develop

Bragg… will miss a chunk of the season, and will be lucky if he returns at all

• I hope he’s found not guilty. That is my hope for any player on our team that is accused of something. He is innocent until the court says otherwise. Having said that this situation will be something that has to be dealt with delicately because of the nature of what happened.

Even if he’s found not guilty the simple fact that he was arrested and was in a situation that jeopardizes his position with his team is something that will stick with him forever and something Self will have to think about how to move past this with or without him. This is a distraction and the negative press that comes with it is not something this team should be dealing with right now.

• @brooksmd Thx for da link…

• As a Kansas lawyer, I’ve handled many, many misdemeanors. What helps is for all parties involved to have the time to reflect on what happened and for experienced lawyers to sort it out. My reaction to police reports ranges from “Good grief what in the hell was my client thinking” to “Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me-that’s not a valid charge.” Kansas law requires an arrest when responding officers see evidence of a battery in a domestic dispute. Here, Lawrence PD mistakenly treated Bragg’s arrest as a domestic offense, when he wasn’t related to the putative victim and they didn’t live together. Also, quit worrying about the mug shot. The officers in the room could have been joking around or Bragg like all of us smiles any time his picture is being taken. I’ve seen victims of horrible offenses smile when their picture is taken, so the smile isn’t determinative of what the person is feeling.

Please, let’s focus on our players on the court against Nebraska and let the Bragg situation work itself out. RCJH

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

He’s not that physical on the court

This should be part of his defense.

“I can’t box out, your honor. if I was pushing someone down the stairs on purpose it would probably end up me at the bottom. I may have bumped in to her but I got hit first by some other giant clumsy dude. I think Landen was with me. I think we were both reaching for the same cup perched on the bannister. Think he knocked it over and we both slipped.”

• @approxinfinity Even though this is serious schizz, that is kinda funny… Shame on you appx.

• @globaljaybird yeah. Pencil me in for “sardonic”

• @stoptheflop smile also reflects immaturity

• @Crimsonorblue22 I dunno, I smile when I’m nervous.

Bragg just always smiles, it’s his poker face.

• @approxinfinity you could say something how he runs to the bench when he’s being yanked, Self always says he scared he going to run into him. I’ll stop there.

• @Crimsonorblue22

My guess is he was high/drunk at the time.

@stoptheflop

Your input was much appreciated. Thanks.

• @stoptheflop Yes…thanks for the input.

• @BShark and at All Ya’ll.

Guessing what happened and making snap judgements of Carlton is pointless.

Regarding the mug shot smile…yah, I admit I thought it in poor taste to smile for that.

Doesnt mean anything. If anything it doesnt mean he was happy about what happened!!

We cant call for him to be kicked off the team. Thats just silly.

As I mentioned in another post just now, everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a second chance.

• @Lulufulu

I know the look, is all I’m saying. Good be wrong, only Bragg knows unless they tested him.

• Just read from Newell that the victim is being held on suspicion of battery as well. Is that normal?

Here is the link http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article120133273.html

• @dylans

Interesting. Mug shots are usually taken in front of a height chart and the individual holds a sign or one is added digitally with the case number; neither is present. These appear to be cleansed courtesy pictures provided to KU and not necessarily the customary “mug” shots.

• @kjayhawks

I am a lawyer, but without access to the facts I wouldn’t feel comfortable speculating on what the situation is. I just don’t know nearly enough right now.