Giants v Royals game 2

• @Crimsonorblue22 No thanks. Took me a couple of days to recover the last time I had some for you.

• @JayhawkRock78 Well I think her baseball days are over anyway and she is supposed to be a pretty basketball player.

• @brooksmd I’ll gladly pinch hit !!

• @globaljaybird I’ll scratch you in as the DH for @Crimsonorblue22. How’s that?

• @Crimsonorblue22 I meant to get her SI issue and never did.

• Well I gotta gather up the kids for a walk and see if the stars are shining tonite. If ya’ll are gone when I get back we’ll catch ya later.

• @brooksmd Sure is nice living out where there are no street lights & you can still see the stars at night. Have a good one brooks. You 2 crimson. GN yall.

• @brooksmd Don’t know if I can keep up the pace?

• Have a nice walk. It’s been beautiful over here in Houston but no doubt you are seeing many many more stars. I am overdue taking my kids somewhere they can see the Milky Way making a beautiful streak across the night sky among several thousand points of light.

• @brooksmd I’d like to see em win it in 7 !!!

• Solar eclipse tmrw, 4:30 pm. Don’t look at it!!

• Do you guys think it would be appropriate to wear my lucky Royals shirt to wedding? Jk

• @brooksmd My avatar,is my kids in Alaska with gramps when they were very young They didn’t see the night sky because the night was so short that July visit. Another trip to Yosemite gave them a good view at high altitude and zero light pollution but they were in grade school and it didn’t make an impression.

I feel bad because light pollution has robbed most people in NA and developed countries of the night show God put up nightly for free for eons. We have a telescope we rarely use but at least I’ve been able to show them the rings around Saturn. That isn’t as impressive as the night sky where you can really see most the stars. I owe them that and need to get it done soon.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I am an old fart and have in clue-better go with advice of a young stud or probably better yet a mature woman.

• @JayhawkRock78 hey thanks, I was kidding, but if we are behind, I will high tail it out and put it on!

• @JayhawkRock78 Well my kids weren’t looking for stars on their walk. Scroll up to my family photo. They were more interested in looking for a place to pee and poo. lol I spent 5.5 years at Eielson AFB, AK near Fairbanks and loved every moment. Winter time is the best for sky viewing as the northern lights are most impressive. Now we live in Bush, LA, which is about 55 miles north of Nawlins, half way between Covington and Bogalusa. At about 140 above sea level we can claim to be in high country. lol We live in what is called a country community where lots are at least 2 acres, no street lights and plenty of trees to block what little light may come from neighbors. One night my youngest son and I got home from one of his football games pretty late, there was no moon, sky was totally clear. He looked up and said “wow dad, look at all the stars.” It was amazing. Well I’m done for the night. Later all.

• @globaljaybird No, in 6. Even though I just had my annual physical/finger wave, 6 would be easier on the ol ticker.

• Sorry I dropped out of the discussion. I did watch the game in amazement and disgust (I’m pulling for the Royals, but not in a diehard type of way) at SF manager Bochy for using 5 pitchers in one inning. He took out Peavy after two baserunners, next guy got his batter out and he’s gone! No one else could get anyone out. Bochy blew that game in my opinion.

• @wissoxfan83

That was strange indeed. I will admit I am not a big baseball fan so I am not up to speed with all the rules and the only explanation we could come up last night is that maybe there is a pitching order and he wanted to get to a certain pitcher??? but I don’t believe there is such a rule so all those changes are still a mystery to me.

Good guys won, that;s all that matters.

• @wissoxfan83 @JayHawkFanToo I didn’t follow the changes that close to see who pitched to who. But there is a lot of strategy in using relievers. Number one is it is usually better for a lefty to throw to left handed hitters and righty to a right handed hitters because the ball is naturally going away from the hitter and not coming into him. That’s why some managers will go with a batting order more loaded with right handed hitters if the opposing starter is a lefty or the opposite if the starter is a righty. Next they look at how that pitcher has done against the hitter. I’ve seen managers change pitchers without throwing a pitch. Example. Hitter due up is a lefty and pitcher is a righty. Manager will call for a lefty to the mound. Well then the opposing manager goes to a righty pinch hitter. Once that batting change is announced that hitter is locked in and the other manager can call for a righty to the mound. Usually the strategy works. Of course it’s always fun when that strategy is used and your team still beats it.

• @wissoxfan83 @JayHawkFanToo I went back and looked at the Royals 6th. Interesting stat was shown prior to start of their at bat. After 4 innings Peavy’s ERA jumps from 2.91 to 4.81 and opposing hitters BA goes from .228 to .299 which would explain why Peavy was yanked after he gave up a single to Cain and a walk to Hosie with Butler up who hit him hard in the 1st. Machi a RH to pitch to Butler a RH and Butler beat the %'s with a single. Bochy brought in Lopez a LH to face Gordon a LH who flied out. % won on that one. Bochy then brought in Strickland a RH to face Perez a RH who beat the % with a double scoring Hosie and Gore who was running for Butler. Then Infante a RH homered off Strickland and beat the % again. When Strickland blew up Bochy brought in Affeldt a LH to face Moose a LH who singled and beat the %. The Escobar hit into a dp and inning over. So Bochy was playing the %'s and lost. Most of the time it works. With the game tied at the start of the Royals 6th and the Royals got the first 2 on, and the strength of the Royals bullpen a manager has to do what he has to do to keep damage to a minimum. It just didn’t work this time.

• @brooksmd Believe me Brooksy, I know all the nuances of it. And it’s stupid. For one, if that game goes extra innings, well, the manager has used up a bunch of arms. And the left v. righty thing is a little overblown to me. If a pitcher blows away a batter and then the manager takes him out after only one batter, well, it’s dumb.

• @wissoxfan83 Actually it was Lopez the 3rd pitcher who got Gordon to fly out to left for the first out. He didn’t exactly blow him away.

• @globaljaybird new kid?

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yeah but is a furry one with a very pretty face. Rescued him last night. Is a real sweetheart. Poor guy is skin & bones at about 40-45# & extremely lovable so Mom’s broken heart fell in love instinctively. He tires quickly from under nourishment & should weigh around 60-65#. May have likely have separation issues so can’t leave him alone yet. Got him a new kennel on the way home but he slept right beside me all night & so far no accidents in the house. Had a moderate breakfast & just checked on some squirrels out back cracking nuts. Is bright, curious, gentle & quiet, but loves to run & play. Have not heard him bark yet. Is about one year old so the challenge with any young one is teaching him to understand the time & place for all of the above & giving them enough exercise to stay under control… Maybe this will keep me younger a little longer too. After 3 mo I still have just been lost without my other friend. Thanks for noticing.

• @globaljaybird ahhhh what a lucky boy to have your home for his new home!! Send a pic of him sometime! He, for sure, will put a spring in your step!!! Soooo happy for you guys!

• @globaljaybird Yeah we need a full pic of the new kid on the block. Sounds and looks like you got a winner and won’t take him long to get into the swing of things. And I’ll bet he’ll thank you over and over for his new home.

• @Crimsonorblue22 @brooksmd Thanks a lot guys. Will get some new pics today. He has been someone’s pet & has fair basic training. I am going to get him into doggie school asap. I believe he was sheltered because of not having enough exercise & destroying too much property. He likes to rough house also but that’s what Boxers do. They were orig bred from German Bullenbisser Bulldogs & Mastiffs for hunting in the 18th century & are an extremely rambunctious, high energy hunting breed. Not an apartment pet at all. The back yard between my house & first cross fence is all 6 ft high as Woody used to clear the five ft cattle gates chasing critters & he really didn’t care how large or small. He was absolutely fearless & went after horses dozens of times. Rest of the pasture is hinged horse fence with one strand of barb about 4ft. Maybe for the first year or so we will probably have to go out with him every time to whizz. We raised boxers for over 14 yrs so we’re well aware of their characteristics, good & bad. They thrive on play & love & can be difficult & stubborn sometimes, but once they are devoted to you, are totally dedicated to your family. Believe it or not, they are extremely gentle with children & even when they play bite they keep their lips & jowls over their teeth. They are a true pack animal & protect with their lives if necessary. The key is getting them to relinquish dominance to a human pack leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullenbeisser

• @globaljaybird My uncle when he was still living with grandma and grandpa on the farm in Winchester, KS, had a white boxer and she loved playing with all us grandkids. You ever consider a buried fence to keep the kids within the confines of your property? I did one for Mikey and it covers about 1.5 of our 2.5 acres. Gives him all the backyard, the sides and about half the front yard. Once he learned it we can go months where he doesn’t wear the collar.

• @brooksmd Is good advice. Already have the big fence which I can charge up & also keeps coyotes out. The neighbor that found & returned Woody a couple years back, had two Yorkies snatched off her back deck on two different occasions. She even hired a fella to come out & eliminate a few, but there are too many for that to be very successful. Gotta be very careful of where your rounds go as the houses are about 1/4 mi apart & there is a ton of livestock. The boarding stable has at least 50-60 head that cover about 120 acres right across the street. Hawks & Owls will also take a small dog in a heartbeat. We’ve no shortage of wildlife for sure. Was proud of the wife when she took out a small bull snake about 10 days ago. We won’t harm them unless they get too close to a door or in the garage as they eat a lot of mice. But when they get that close they gotta go. I’ve had several large blacksnakes out here for years & one has kept the birds out of the horse barn all summer. Don’t see them often, but know they’re still there & eating well.