Transfer Rumblings

• @BShark said in Transfer Rumblings:

Noah Shelby

Extremely meh but not many guys are going to want to compete with what’s already here.

• @FarmerJayhawk Rylan’s friend as well 🙂

• Give me Javon clear Kugel and let’s ride.

@kuballin10 said in Transfer Rumblings:

Seems like this weekend was a big dud as both guys didn’t commit as planned or am I missing something….

Oooooh wrong

It is funny that clearly all the videos and photos were done, release was written, quotes given and all that. Almost like people knew beforehand!

• I keep hearing Kugel is gone at this point between his grades and guys we have now signed. Interesting that his grades would be that bad but he still played a lot Florida

• @kjayhawks I’m not sure on the specifics but can speak generally. Some guys quit trying if they think they’re going to the NBA. Then when that doesn’t work out it’s like oh crap I don’t have enough credits to be eligible without A LOT of summer work

• @kjayhawks said in Transfer Rumblings:

I keep hearing Kugel is gone at this point between his grades and guys we have now signed. Interesting that his grades would be that bad but he still played a lot Florida

This is a big part of the motivation for the new transfer rule that was put in place. After the first “free” transfer, a player can only transfer and play immediately again if they are in good academic standing at their previous school.

• Ummmm, Bill IS NOT PLAYIN

• We got Griffen, Storr and Zeke…I’m on cloud 9

• @FarmerJayhawk that’s is probably very true, pass first semester and then screw the pooch the second thinking you are gone anyway.

• @TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

We got Griffen, Storr and Zeke…I’m on cloud 9

Yeah this version of Star Wars is called Bill Strikes Back

We got Griffen, Storr and Zeke…I’m on cloud 9

Safe to say Bill was not pleased how last year went. Let’s hope all the pieces fit and we get back to KU basketball.

• Heard on a podcast Bill saying he was tired of seeing un athletic Guards-- - No more

• @jayballer67 said in Transfer Rumblings:

Heard on a podcast Bill saying he was tired of seeing un athletic Guards-- - No more

This is music to my ears.

• @BShark

old acquaintance

• @BeddieKU23 said in Transfer Rumblings:

@BShark

old acquaintance

For those that aren’t deep in the recruiting mire, as a JR in HS it was a KU/Baylor battle then he…didn’t develop as people hoped. Ended up at Vandy, transferred down to Rice and wasn’t great there either. Relationship builder for KU to take him at this point.

• @BShark

remember he was a package deal to vandy with Dort who now is headed to Cal. Shelby was a prolific HS shooter and agree he hasn’t done much so far in College. Interesting

• @BeddieKU23 return of the Jedi!

• @kjayhawks I like it. I’m thinking Avengers: Endgame.

• @bskeet honestly if Bill wins the ship next season and passes Phog (3 games I believe) I could see him riding off into the sunset.

• @jayballer67 Well minus d2 starting and playing 32-35 minutes a game next year

Remember it’s coach speak. What coach would say “I don’t want to get more athletic”….none yet his decision on who plays says more than his words

• @Jhawk69 said in Transfer Rumblings:

@kuballin10 I think you are reaching here. You conveniently include all the things that went our way while ignoring the things that did not go our way in 2022 (Creighton having their best 3 point shooting game of the season and making tough 3s, Villanova doing the same, UNC getting some favorable calls from the refs). It is also important to recognize that luck is a part of every title run. If you want to make a strong case against Self I would suggest using the following points

A) arguing that he got us wrapped up in sanctions

B )arguing that with all the regular season titans and all the talent he has had he should have more than 2 titles and 3/4 final fours

C) arguing that his style of developing players over the the course of years worked well in the past but won’t work in the modern era of unlimited free agency

I would still disagree with you but if you were to focus on these points you would at least have an argument worth respecting. The argument you have now is just lazy and is clearly focused more on scoring “debate points” than on employing close analysis to reach any sort of truth.

@Jhawk69 Creighton made more threes against another big 10 team

We made the same amount as nova

Don’t remember anything officiating wise

A) sanctions aren’t bills fault because everyone is cheating he just got caught. If he didn’t throw money at players we don’t field a legit team

😎 100% agree here. His style of play is why we don’t have 3-5 titles because we’ve had the best team in the nation at least that many times if not more. Maybe he should see how adjusting his philosophy would help his team excel in March more when it comes to performing up to their seed

c) Player development he’s had both some major wins and losses. Frank, Devonte ect studs. Bills issue is he doesn’t play it fair. He yanks those early in the season he doesn’t like after 1 mistake but d2 could make 10 mistakes his first, second, third ect year playing and was never quick hooked.

For Self it’s more philosophical. Defending inside out and scoring inside out isn’t the game nor what athletes are geared towards. He needs to adjust how he defends especially and get some new standard motions because the weave is not ideal.

His best teams are guys multi years in the program and that’s really tough to come by with the portal. He’s got d2, Hunter and kj unfortunately he thinks they are all studs and doesn’t see their limitations

Mayo

Small

Griffen

Storr

Hunter

Wish this would be the lineup from the jump but that ain’t gonna happen.

• @kuballin10 said in Transfer Rumblings:

@jayballer67 Well minus d2 starting and playing 32-35 minutes a game next year

Remember it’s coach speak. What coach would say “I don’t want to get more athletic”….none yet his decision on who plays says more than his words

Wrong-- -ONCE AGAIN. - -Coach saying he is tired of watching un Athletic Guards

• @jayballer67 I mean it’s a fact dajuan isn’t very athletic. Doesn’t take away from the fact that he knows and plays his role

• @jayballer67 He’s gonna start one of the most unathletic at the pg spot next year….thats my point

• @Jhawk69 great thoughts

• @rcjhdraft @kuballin10 ”athletic” has always seemed to me a deceptively subjective assessment. Juan has long arms and uses them to maximize defensive disruption and in achieving great passing angles and handling the rock well. Isnt that a form of athleticism? Also, isnt the brain an organ, ie part of the body? How does one separate the brain from what their body achieves with it?

My biggest problem with Juan is the lapses that hopefully were a product of fatigue. I dont think we will be complaining nearly as much next year about sloppy possessions on either end from him if his minutes are under 30.

• @approxinfinity IMO I always believed athleticism manifested itself via a combination of explosion, jumping ability and speed and dajuan has never really showcased that(always plays slow and doesn’t finish great near the rim). His gifts manifest themselves via finding the open man and playing good defense. With all the scorers that we’ve gotten this offseason he just needs to keep hitting the open man.

@jayballer67 He’s gonna start one of the most unathletic at the pg spot next year….thats my point

It’s always a pleasure to hear from you

• @rcjhdraft I agree with you assessment, you don’t have to be a great athlete to play D1 but it helps for sure. Niang for ISU had a recorded vertical jump of I believe 18 inches at the combine. @approxinfinity Juans wing span is why he is here. If he has a normal wing span he’s playing at SEMO. Juan has never exploded off the dribble and beat anyone to the rim or dunked that I’ve ever seen (was rejected by the rim once last season). Never seen a play from him that screams athleticism.

• Alright. I think he will look more athletic next year, playing less minutes, and hopefully more intense defense, with teammates who can finish.

But i take your points. He is not an explosive finisher or a high flyer and he isn’t particularly fast on the break.

His hands are fast.

• @approxinfinity i hope you are correct sir.

• @approxinfinity Juan can dunk! He can jump too. His bb iq is off the charts.

• @approxinfinity Fair points

D2’s passing angles are minimal because every team has figured out to go under ball screens with him

His ball handling isn’t good; he’s extremely loose with the ball

He’s not a legitimate KU d1 athlete he’s more mo state level

We can agree to disagree but remember all this hype for this roster and watch how it plays out this year….

• @rcjhdraft hit the open man but more importantly take and hit the open 3 so there’s more room for the open man

• Jaxson Robinson in the portal……I’m sure we “reach out” but he ain’t coming here right @BShark

Maybe if Bill didn’t have his pets

Mayo

Griffen

Storr

Robinson

Hunter

My word

@approxinfinity Fair points

D2’s passing angles are minimal because every team has figured out to go under ball screens with him

His ball handling isn’t good; he’s extremely loose with the ball

He’s not a legitimate KU d1 athlete he’s more mo state level

We can agree to disagree but remember all this hype for this roster and watch how it plays out this year….

Yes. Let’s watch.

• @Woodrow If Juan plays 32+ minutes a game I know the outcome even if two nba guys are his wings

• Watching sports with the intention to get angry about it is so weird to me.

Watching sports with the intention to get angry about it is so weird to me.

That’s why I don’t go to sports bars…

• If Kugel makes it to campus…this will be our most athletic roster in years and that truly excites me.

If Kugel makes it to campus…this will be our most athletic roster in years and that truly excites me.

Lob city Jayhawks

• @BShark It’s frustration that you assemble this incredible roster only to limit it with the minutes distribution due to “players the coach favors”.

• It couldn’t possibly be that coach favors the players who help us win games 🤣

• @Jhawk69 that guy Bill Self is LUCKY to win 800 games!

@TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

If Kugel makes it to campus…this will be our most athletic roster in years and that truly excites me.

Lob city Jayhawks

Dajuan should be in heaven with these wings man.

• @approxinfinity said in Transfer Rumblings:

@Jhawk69 that guy Bill Self is LUCKY to win 800 games!

And an amazing PR talent, fooling hundreds of sportswriters, coaches, and athletes for some 30 years.

@BShark It’s frustration that you assemble this incredible roster only to limit it with the minutes distribution due to “players the coach favors”.

@kuballin10 said in Transfer Rumblings:

@BShark It’s frustration that you assemble this incredible roster only to limit it with the minutes distribution due to “players the coach favors”.

Listening to a pod ast today, they were saying face it, the KU point guard is going to play in between 30-35 minutes a game at Ku - -no matter who it is - -That’s just Bill , he is loyal to his point guards.

Now for the people who talk all the shade on Juan , like they pointed out , people thinking about how much better we could do without Juan Juan has accomplished just as much - -done just as well aa many of others that ha played for Coach, - -Juan has helped win a Championship , just a well pr better then others that has run the point

Let’s look:—Frank Mason - -how many did we win when Frank run some point ? - – -Devonte ? - – - Devon ?-- did we win any more Championships with them then we have with Juan, running point? — Have our Seasons records been any worse with Juan then with those guys other maybe this yr ? – How about when TyShawn was here ?- -the answer to that Question is NO- -we haven’t. Some of those guys ew didn’t win a Championship.

This yr you think he sucked ? - -played to many minutes ? - Quite possible who the hell you gonna replace him with ? -El Marko - psssst please , they had to rely on Kevin to try and run point just so Juan COULD get any kind of break.- -Bill couldn’t and didn’t feel comfortable with anyone else and very understandable why. - -Why was Juan not as good this year, well like they said for one–they was Playing Hunter and KJ on the floor at the same time to much–just can’t do that it’s a bad combination for an extended length of time— causes bad spacing. - -Was that Juan’s fault ?- -ummm no - -caused some forced passes. - -If Juan is sooooo bad tell me why is it he is always towards the top of the League in assists per game , for one- - Steals ?

You tak about how he doesn’t shoot- - doesn’t score enough?- -Again like they brought out today let’s give you an example - -you want Scoring pg ?-- Scoring PG’s going to win you a Championship ? – Well how about this for example–other then how they played in the regular Seasons what has Calipari accomplished the last 12 years or so with the Stud explosive Pg’s he has had ? - – - They accomplished no more then Juan.-- -Calipari’s teams have been put out in 1st rounds - - -rounds of 32 like some people here like to ring up- -or not even making the tourney with all the 5 star stud point guards they have haad during the time–explosive PG’s that you want to shoot- -well they shot- - -how many Championships have they won? – -Hmm no more then one if that—no better then Juan has helped accomplish here at Ku.—Look at some of those pg’s he has had an what did they get?- - - -Zelch that’s what.–I mean Uk had --Maxey - – Wall - - Alexander-- Fox-- - -Murray - -how many Championships did they win ? -One between them just like Juan -if that . - these guys were all or most were 5 star golden boys and you got ONE championship between them just like Juan – ONE FRIKEN CHAMPIONSHIP, hmmm wonder why if they are so much better then Juan what the F - - - happened wit their group ?- - UK had star studded teams with stud golden boy PG’s and didn’t win squat

Save your breath trying to tell me about things they might have won individually and not even sure if they won anything individually, but last time I knew the GOAL for every team is to win the National title. --Being an all American, or league MVP- -or any othr individual honor is jack squat for the team- -It’s suppose to be about th team - -NOT the individual, and Kentucky is just one example of teams with Really talent point guards that haven’t accomplished one da thing more then this un heard of kid with hardly any accolades coming out of High School. - What was Juan a 3 star kid–all these Golden boys 5 star and they didn’t accomplish jack shit that Juan didn’t Whether yo want to admit it or not Juan was Huge in a lot of ways other then scoring in our come back win over North Carolina–defending - -assists-- and some scoring- Hell ya is a pass first PG, he directs the offense- I’m glad we have him, he doesn’t decide the minutes Coach does that and has done pretty well at it. --Ya he play a lot of minutes this past year-- -cause HE HAD TO we had no depth or anyone else that could do any better – Looking forward to him on the floor again this yr

• @jayballer67 I attempted to scan all of that.

I’ll stick to my point if Juan plays 30-35 mpg we will not win a title. We will be lucky to get to the final 4.

You can quote those team accolades for him but it shows guys on the podcast and many other supporters didn’t bother to watch what took place against creighton, providence and unc…… just complete revisionist history

• @Jhawk69 Worked well this year eh??? What about Morningstar and Reed over Selby….howd that number 1 team turn out? They burn through the tourney winning by 15???

What about Jamari Taylor and that whole situation how’d those teams do???

Proof is in the pudding. Self can win games no arguments but he limits the ceiling of the team but maintains a high floor.

He should have 4-5 titles but doesn’t. Got 1 because we had just nba studs in 08 and 22 was sheer luck that we were due from all our previous bad tourney breaks.

For all the top rosters and number 1 seeds and his “coaching and x’ing and o’ing it” it’s produced good lil 12 titles and 30 win seasons with more disappointments than mountain tops